MESSAGE BOARDS

A subscription is not required to post on the message boards and to read some free content, but users must still register for a free username and password.

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

2024 QB Options... Next Man Up? Portal?

Who will be the starting QB next year?
Maddux
Portal Name
A complete unknown

Let's all sit back a moment and think honestly when was the last time we (Boise State) truly had no clue who our starting QB will be the following year. My mind goes to 2008 you had Bush Hamdan, Kellen Moore, and Michael Coughlin on the roster. None of them had any meaningful experience and it was a great unknown. Obviously we know what happened. Then we go to 2019 coming into the season we had Chase Cord, Hank, and Jaylon Henderson. Coming in to that season I had a feeling it was going to be Hank but truthfully I had no clue. This is a true weird feeling to have. Next season we go into the year (at this point) with Maddog, CJ Tiller, and Colt Fulton (plus the incoming commit)

This is where things get interesting in my mind. Yes Maddux had flashes of being a great passer, but I do not think he is the future. We saw him come in and complete passes that TG was simply missing, were we just happy to see those passes being on target? Or was that pure talent? I struggle with knowing that a QB the size of Maddux is in there, I see a lot of balls being batted down, especially once teams realize they just have to put their hands up, can Maddux adapt?

I have jumped on the train of lets go get ourselves a portal guy. Someone proven, someone who fits the system, and preferably someone with at least 2 years left BUT 1 year would be OK. Below is a short list I compiled of guys who I think should be on our radar.

1. Grayson McCall- A seasoned vet at the GO5 level. Tough, accomplished passer.
  2. Bryson Barnes- Has all the makings of a great athletic QB, can throw, can run, has experience at a high level, and may not attract the P5 attention
  3. AJ Swann- Vanderbilt, SEC experience, big arm, pro style, could be a great fit
  4. Katin Houser- Why not?
  5. Here is my homerun why not reach out and test the waters. Tyler Van Dyke- Experience, big, projected draft pick.

I believe SD has the personality to attract some big names, and simply saying you have arguably the best back in the nation next to you, a receiving core that has been steadily improving, a breakout wideout in Prince and Bolt, an outstanding O-Line, and the ability to come in and make a massive difference instantly.

Give me your thoughts below! This was just a I work nights I'm bored lets get some conversations going, and see where we all stand, not a lot of research when in to this just from my prior knowledge of guys!

Thanks

J M has reacted to this post.
J M

That's a difficult question in my mind.  RIGHT NOW........as of this minute.....if I were to vote on this poll I'd have to say Maddux.   But as all college football fans know things change all the time in football.  Secondly he has a long hard rehab ahead of him that he may not complete as late as next August.

As to a portal guy - that's a complete unknown right now.  So that would LITERALLY be nothing but speculation.

One guy I think you should have added as a choice is Tiller.  Just a thought.

BroncoChief has reacted to this post.
BroncoChief

If we went the portal route this is a few options I think we could see:

• Dequan Finn(Toledo) - Would be a home run addition imo. Well rounded QB and solid career in the Mac. Most likely will have a lot of P5 opportunities.
  • Jase Bauer(Central Michigan) - Another MAC player who had solid success. Not as highly touted as Finn but has that dual threat in his game and still would have 2-3 years of eligibility.
  • EJ Warner(Temple) - I feel like I'm in the minority when it comes to EJ. I do think Boise has a legit shot at landing him if we wanted. West coast kid. Yes his dad is Kurt Warner. So you know being a great QB runs in his blood. A little turnover prone at Temple but overall put up really good numbers both years he has started.

Then there is Sam Leavitt and Kaitin Houser. Still excited to see what Tiller and Fulton can do in the bowl game. I know the staff is very high on Fulton in particular. Although we really need to see what we have in Tiller with him being on scholarship. Both will play. I imagine we will see some of that 2 QB system where both guys run out there every other play and kind of treat it like how we did prior to Madsen's injury. Where if one guy makes a mistake, pull him the next drive for the other guy.

My GUESS - and that's all it is............is if Fulton plays a big part in the bowl game he will be on scholarship as of next semester.  And that's whether Boise State wins or loses the bowl game.  But again that's just a guess on my part.

BroncoChief and bsufan4342 have reacted to this post.
BroncoChiefbsufan4342

Curious to see if Hamdan can recruit a big name at the position.

I want Kyle McCord (Ohio State xfer) - who sources say is leaning toward Nebraska. If he likes winning - he should look up Boise instead.