MESSAGE BOARDS

A subscription is not required to post on the message boards and to read some free content, but users must still register for a free username and password.

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

2023 Roster

Page 1 of 2Next

Now that a historic BSU MBB season is in the books and time has let the memories settle in, time to look forward to 2023.

Another exciting team is anticipated.  Missing for sure next year is Abu Kigab.  It doesn’t look good for Mr. Akot to return, he is/was our point guard.  The program has added a beast of a player in Sadrique Nganga.  I am really looking forward to what he can do.

The biggest need is at PG.  Looking at the current roster, are there any potential PGs there?  There are a lot of unproven RS players on the roster.  You have 6’6” Kobe Young, 6’6” RJ Keene, 6’5” Pavle Kuzmanovic, and 6’2” Sam Winter.  Are any of them D1 PGs?  We know that Marcus Shaver and Max Rice are not permanent PGs.  Seems the team is stacked with shooting guards.  BJ did mention there is another scolly remaining.  Will they use it on a PG in the transfer portal?  The offers listed on 24/7 are for PGs, so I assume that is the target.  What do you think?  Anything else you think Leon and company should target?  Is everyone else coming back?

Should be an interesting off-season, one of the more interesting ones in quite some time.  Go Broncos!

BSUaddict has reacted to this post.
BSUaddict
Quote from BroncoChief on April 14, 2022, 10:52 am

Now that a historic BSU MBB season is in the books and time has let the memories settle in, time to look forward to 2023.

Another exciting team is anticipated.  Missing for sure next year is Abu Kigab.  It doesn’t look good for Mr. Akot to return, he is/was our point guard.  The program has added a beast of a player in Sadrique Nganga.  I am really looking forward to what he can do.

The biggest need is at PG.  Looking at the current roster, are there any potential PGs there?  There are a lot of unproven RS players on the roster.  You have 6’6” Kobe Young, 6’6” RJ Keene, 6’5” Pavle Kuzmanovic, and 6’2” Sam Winter.  Are any of them D1 PGs?  We know that Marcus Shaver and Max Rice are not permanent PGs.  Seems the team is stacked with shooting guards.  BJ did mention there is another scolly remaining.  Will they use it on a PG in the transfer portal?  The offers listed on 24/7 are for PGs, so I assume that is the target.  What do you think?  Anything else you think Leon and company should target?  Is everyone else coming back?

Should be an interesting off-season, one of the more interesting ones in quite some time.  Go Broncos!

I dont think this team as of right now has a sure fire PG on the roster. Most of the guys are flexible enough like Shaver to play more of a PG/SG role. Assuming Shaver comes back there isnt a ton of holes to fill outside of another C unless you feel some of the younger guys are not quite there yet. I can see us going after another combo guard but dont know if it'll be a true PG. I dont really feel like this team needs a true PG but if you can go find one in the portal you do so unless one of the younger guys step up in the role. I still wouldnt be shocked if we see 1-2 more guys maybe transfer out. Then i think the picture will come more clear about what is needed.

bsufan4342 has reacted to this post.
bsufan4342

How many open positions for 2023?  Here is what we know so far:

Facts:  Abu Kigab has graduated.  Devonaire Doutrieve was exiled from the team during the season.  Emanuel Akot and Kasean Pryor have entered the transfer portal but could still return.  Marcus Shaver has declared for the NBA draft and is currently non-binding, he could be back (hopefully).  Malden Armus has not publically stated a position; hopefully he too will be back.  That leaves anywhere from 2 to 4 open positions as the team signed a pair of incoming Freshmen in Sadraque Nganga and Jace Whiting.

Synopsis:  If everyone comes back (doubtful), then next year’s team is already set.  I believe Mr Pryor will take his talents elsewhere, he will have a hard time getting appreciable playing time on this team.  I’d be pleasantly surprised if Mr Akot finds his way back.  Mr’s Shaver and Armus are the 2 biggest unknowns. My money is on getting 2 players from the transfer portal to complete the roster.  I’d like to see Chibuzo Agbo from Texas Tech choose BSU (apparently a finalist for his services).  Go Broncos!

Mr Agbo has indeed chosen the Broncos!  He will be a nice and exciting add.  How do we fill the remaining slot(s)?  Go Broncos!

Quote from BroncoChief on April 27, 2022, 10:21 pm

Mr Agbo has indeed chosen the Broncos!  He will be a nice and exciting add.  How do we fill the remaining slot(s)?  Go Broncos!

I think that pretty much settles it for Akot.  Shaver will be back.  If Armus decides to go pro (which he should for his career), then we will be looking at another big man to fill that spot.

The question of PG could be filled in two ways.  Shaver, while better coming off the ball is very capable of handling the PG position.  Also, Pavle played PG off the bench when Akot was hurt last season.  I really think he as a lot to offer this team if he can stay healthy and on the court.  Having said that, he has to improve his ball control.  He got benched last year when he tired to do too much on offense and when he didn't play solid defense.  He needs to put on about 10 pounds of muscle and move side to side quicker.

The unknown is the Whiting kid from Burley.  As I read about his high school career, I find out his younger sister is almost as famous as he is.  In fact, she is going to Oregon next year.  But with Jace, it appears he was the star player for Burley in his junior and senior years.  But probably more importantly he played in Utah's AAU system (Adidas Circuit), which is where many college coaches scout during the summer.  There is really no stats that I have found for his AAU team, but he has had positive comments by several coaches.  He has said he really likes to shoot the 3 and get his team involved.   This is what I see as I look at his Maxpreps tape.  So hopefully he gets in the gym as soon as he gets home, which should be at the end of June (I think).

Now that we know Malden Armus will not be on next year’s team, where does that leave us in the middle?  Let’s take a look at the current options:

1. Lucas Milner: The only big with any experience. He is more athletic than Armus, but lacks the bulk you’d prefer in a center.  He is a very good compliment to a top big.

2. Burke Smith: 6’ 11” redshirt freshman out of Virginia.  He was rated an 87 out of high school and is unproven.  He appears to be slight in stature and could use some bulking up.  Does feature an inside and outside game.  Adds a different dimension to the center position.

3.  Sadraque Nganga:  Highly rated 6’ 10” incoming freshman.  Would be best used at SF with his all around game. His overall talent should quickly allow him to rise at the major college level.

4. There is an open scholarship to go after some transfer muscle.  I can see Leon and co going this route to round out the team.  What do you think?  Go Broncos!

bsufan4342 has reacted to this post.
bsufan4342

We haven't heard much about the 3 redshirts except about Keane who may contribute next year. Kobe is supposed to be pretty athletic. Smith has been here for 2 years.  Should be able to contribute. Offensively he is probably our best center. Hope he has been working hard on defense. Only about 10 pound difference in weight from Armus and Milner. Could be a pretty deep bench next season.

BroncoChief has reacted to this post.
BroncoChief

So now we know: Shaver is back! Armus is leaving and Akot still is undecided (as of this point) on the NBA draft/transferring out. Might not be the same team, but there looks to be the talent together on this team to make a run again in the MW. Pulled in Agbo from Texas Tech and although he didn't play a ton last year, gotta think adding him is a good addition with the incoming class that includes Nganga. So, one more spot, trying to add more depth to the center position? Any potential rumors or things people have heard about that??

Putting that in combination with the development of players like Kobe, Milner, Naje, Rice, Kuz (in no particular order), and now with Shaver and Degenhart being presumed starters, gotta say, this is a good start, see what Rice does with potentially the extra scholarship available and if Pryor leaves, could potentially leave another opening for a player to get into the program and begin developing right?

Although Akot probably won't be returning, gotta say, this is looking promising for the next few years (and if you can't acknowledge that Rice has the right piece in play, not sure there is another coach that could come in and do better with the situation at hand). Future of MBB looks bright for BSU!

BroncoChief and Wade Ray have reacted to this post.
BroncoChiefWade Ray

Excellent synopsis Logan.  I am sure the staff has a number of irons in the fire.  Still a lot of talent in the portal.  Will they go C or PG?  Still a bit of intrigue remaining.  Go Broncos!

Wade Ray has reacted to this post.
Wade Ray

This is pretty cool too...https://broncosports.com/news/2022/5/20/general-lyle-smith-society-secures-another-1-million-gift.aspx

Page 1 of 2Next